March 19, 2018

Daily Chronicle: NOVA Open 2018 Registration

With the rumor of SteamCon US being in Nashville, TN late September, early October, it does not look like I will be able to attend SteamCon.  For some reason I was thinking it will take place again in December, but I should have realized that the World Championships will be taking place this year at SteamCon UK and that is in November so SteamCon US needs to be before the UK.   I had already made plans with my wife to visit Willamsburg, VA the first week in October, so there is no way I will be able to do both.

So bring on the NOVA Open 2018.  Nova Open 2018 will be taking place August 30th - September 2nd in Arlington, VA (just outside of Washington DC).  Nova Open is in it’s 9th year and has become the largest East Coast miniature wargaming convention.  I am already attending AdeptiCon (probably the largest and in the Midwest) so why not the largest on the East Coast.  The drive is not too bad, about 9.5 hours.  So the plan woud be to leave Wednesday night and drive throough the night so that way we only need a hotel room for Thursday-Saturday night.

The hard decison now was what events do my son and I want to play in.  NOVA Open has a 3 Man Team Tournament for Warmachine/Hordes.  I asked my friend here in Michigan if he would be interested in playing on a team with us and he was excited.  So the Team Tournament took care of our Thursday events, now I had to decide on Friday-Sunday.

I spent this past weekend looking over the schedule of events and descriptions and trying to decide what we want to play in.  I was going back and forth and finally came to a decision this morning and registered for our events.  The Thursday Team Tournament is scheduled to end around 1:00 AM Friday morning, so I was thinking I did not want an all day event or one that started too early on Friday.  I was thinking maybe Breakfastmachine on Friday and then Champions for WM/H on Saturday, but I elected to enter in the Guild Ball NOVA Open Championships Qualifier on Friday.  Then we will do Breakfastmachine on Saturday and finally Speedmachine on Sunday.

Thursday 8/30
WM/H 3 Man Team Tournament

Friday 8/31
Guild Ball NOVA Championship Qualifier

Saturday 9/1
WM/H Breakfastmachine

Sunday 9/2
WM/H Speedmachine

If we have any downtime and feel like playing more games, we can then do some Iron Arena games for Warmachine/Hordes.  I feel most of the downtime may be spent in the Vendor Hall though.

I decided on Guild Ball for Friday for a few reasons.  1. We will be missing SteamCon US.  2. I am sure that when my son moves here in June we will be partaking in some WM/H leagues and local SteamRollers, so a different game for variety would be nice.  3. Again when my son moves here we will also be getting some more Guild Ball in, it will be nice to look forward to a Guild Ball event and prepare for it.  4. Finally, it will probably be our last Guild Ball event for Season 3, Season 4 will start up in November at SteamCon UK.

So NOVA Open will be our next big event after this weekend AdeptiCon.  Once we get back from AdeptiCon, it will be time to priortize my painting queue for what I need done for the NOVA Open.

0 comments:

Post a Comment