June 7, 2010

Daily Chronicle: 6/7/2010: 1500 or 1750 Points

I know this has been talked about plenty of times everywhere, but lately I have been wanting to lean towards the 1500 point games of Warhammer 40,000.  This past Thursday night I played my Imperial Guard in a 1500 point game, then yesterday I play-tested my Imperial Fists at 1500 points and I am really starting to enjoy this point level.

The Warhammer 40,000 rulebook uses 1500 point armies as their samples, the UK GT also uses the 1500 point level, but here in the states we tend to lean towards 1750 or 1850 points in our friendly and tournament games.  Don't get me wrong, I have no problems playing at the 1750 point level, just lately it seems that I am also enjoying the 1500 point level and may want to lean towards this for my friendly games and save the larger point level games for when I play expansion like Spearhead.

I'm currently running a 40K Summer/Fall League here in Arizona and I'll also be running the 'Tides of War' : "Desert Assault" GT in September and both of these are run at the 1750 point level.  So I'll still be getting a lot games in at 1750 points, but I think for a change of pace in my weeknight gaming I'll be switching to 1500 points.

At the 1500 point level when you run a special character, he takes up a lot of points, so you really have to think about your unit selections for the rest of your army.  When you start playing the larger point games, the choices are not that difficult.

I'll probably still build most of my armies to 1750 points, but some of them like my Imperial Fists, I have no problem stopping at 1500.  Then I can collect more armies.

So what's your take?, do you all enjoy playing the smaller point games? Or the larger point games?  Friendly which do you prefer? Tournaments which do you prefer?

One last thing for today's 'Daily Chronicle', I decided to remove my Dark Elves off the list of "Current Projects" on my Sidebar.  Seeing how I have not touched Warhammer Fantasy in quite a few months, and currently do not have any plans to move forward with it I am reserving the "space" for more Warhammer 40,000 armies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment