February 6, 2017

Daily Chronicle: LVO 2017 Recap

 Well The Las Vegas Open (2017) is now officially over. Although I did not partake in any 'official' event, I still had a pretty decent time. I was actually doing really good with the vendors hall too, until later in the day on Friday (more on that below). This will be just a brief daily recap and then some photo dumps.




Thursday February 2nd, 2017

Thusday was juat a travel day for us and early badge pick up for LVO. We arrived in Las Vegas around 3:00 PM local time and went straight to our timeshare for check-in. Once we checked in, we frshened up a bit and then headed over to Bally's Hotel (where LVO wa taking place) for early badge pick up and then off to dinner.

One thing to note is that this year the LVO doubled in space. Last year at Bally's, LVO just had their Events Center. For 2017, they had their Events Center along with their Grand Ballroom. Warhammer 40K and Age of Sigmar were taking place in the Events Center, and the rest of the gaming and vendors were in the Grand Ballroom.

All packed for the trip.
Events Center and early badge pickup.
Grand Ballroom setup.
Grand Ballroom setup.
Ballys Host Hotel
Ballys Host Hotel

Friday February 3rd, 2017

Friday was going to be an open day for my son and I, get some shopping done and play a small game of Bolt Action so he can get re acclimated with the rules and Version 2 rules.

Along with checking out some of the smaller vendor areas and chatting with our friends at Broken Egg Games, we had to visit the Privateer Press area. They are known to sell their pre-release items at events like this. LVO was no exception. PP was selling the upcoming Command books for Circle and Cygnar (Cygnar is not releasing till March). My son passed on the Command books, but he did pick up a new Warbeast for his Circle army, "Loki". I just picked up a Circle coffe mig for my son and a Minions one for myself.

When we came across the Trenchworkx vendor (WW2 tanks), they had 3 of their new Wirbelwind German Tanks on hand. I just had to grab one of these to eventually paint for my Germans, it just looks too cool to pass up. My son who always wanted a 76mm Sherman for his US Army, was able to grab one of these.

Trenchworx German Wirbelwind

I thought shopping was going pretty good for us........(before I arrived at the LVO, I had the plan that I wanted to try the Guild Ball demo), well my son and I took the brief 15 minute demo of the game, and I thought that this is a game I'd like to try out. There is a local store in South Bend that occasionally plays Guild Ball, along with some other stores a bit farther away. I originally thought I'd be buying into the Brewer's Guild, but I like to score, so the Steamforged Games crew set me up with models form the Engineer's Guild that are scorers (plus I also liked the models for the Engineer's). My son ended up picking out the newer Hunter's Guild (since the theme and colors are close to his Circle army and he is familiar with painting those). So $300 later we had 2 new armies and a Classic Pitch. Then of course I had to head back over to Broken Egg Games for some of their Guild Sticks, and Muse on Minis for their official Guild Tokens. Guild Ball really started to add up.

Once we got our shopping done, my son and I finally got in a 750 point game of Bolt Action. I did not bring an army with me from Michigan, so we just used my son's US Army and split it fairly into 2. We ended up playing the Scenario 'No Mans Land' and my dice once again were not with me and he wiped me out 7-1.

After we got our game in we headed out to dinner. We decided to go to the same restaurant we ate at last year on Friday, Hofbrauhaus Las Vegas (they have one of the best dishes I have ever eater). Now that my son is also 21, he joined in on a German Beer.


Bolt Action: US vs US
Bolt Action: US vs US
Hofbrauhaus
Hofbrauhaus
Hofbrauhaus

Saturday February 4th, 2017

Today I was on stand by for the Bolt Action Tournament as a Ringer. One of my friends from Chicago (Jeremy) was running the event and I offered my services for the day as a Ringer if needed. He had 22 players register for the tournament but only 21 had checked in just prior to the evnt starting, so I ran out to my car to grab my son's US Army, but at the eleventh hour, the 22nd player had checked in. So Saturday was just going to be a relaxing day for me. I obviously checked out all the Bolt Action armies that were playing, but I also spent a good amount of time watching the Guild Ball tournament and asking some question when I could. I met 2 players from Michigan that were really helpful in answering a few questions (hopefully I will run across them again when I get back home). My son was registered in the Warmachine/Hordes Masters Tournament, so he was going to be busy with 4 rounds of WM/H's gaming. His final round of the day he got to play on one of the three very detailed tables that they had. I think it is because my son and his opponet each had nicely fully painted armies (this years Masters tournament seemed to have a lot less painted armies. I know it is not required for Masters, but if you are going to playing in a large tournament in Las Vegas, I would think you'd like to play with a painted army). Once he was done with his final game, we did a nice long walk over to the Luxor buffet for dinner.

Jeremy, the Bolt Action TO


Bolt Action Tournament
Bolt Action Tournament
Bolt Action Tournament
My sons Circle Army
Bolt Action Table
Bolt Action Table
Warmachine Hordes Tournament
Guild Ball Tournament
Guild Ball Tournament
My son Round 4 on a custom table
My son Round 4 on a custom table


Sunday February 5th, 2017


The original plan for Sunday was to get two games of Warmachine/Hordes in so my son can re-teach me the game and I can freshen up on the rulees. But since he had so much fun playing Bolt Action on Friday, we decided to get quick game of Bolt Action before we moved onto WM/H. I knew that would take longer so we started with Bolt Action and gave ourselves a 2 hour time limit.

We rolled for a Scenario and it came up 'Double Envelopment'. With this scenario, you score 1 VP for killing an enemy unit, 2 VP's for each unit you have in the enemies deployment zone at the end of the game, and 3 VP's for each of your units you ran off your enemies table edge. For my third straight game of Bolt Action, the dice were not with me. My so and I swapped lists from Friday (so I was playing the list he beat with me). Well I got another spanking with my son winning 10-0. For the three games of Bolt Action I played this year, it has not been good.....FUN, but not good for wins.

After our game of Bolt Action we grabbed a quick bite to eat for lunch (stayed in the gaming are, lunch meals are $15, but this year the LVO sold meal tickets for $10). Not cheap, but it was easy to do and we did not have to pack our armies.

Once we finished eating, we got our game ready for some Hordes vs Warmachine. I was going to play my Hordes Minion Army, and my son was playing his Warmachine Cygnar Army. We elected not to play with a chess clock since I was re-learning the rules and what exactly my army can do. Guess we should have used a clock becasue 4 hours later we still were not done. I was technically winning 1-0, but since it was going on for a long time and a lot of battling back and forth, I called it a Draw. I really need more practice with my army and what they can do. There is a League starting up next week close to home that I am planning to play in. I know I'll probably lose every game, but as long as I get some practice out of it, I'll be happy.

We wraped up our stuff and we said Good Bye to LVO 2017. We headed out to strip to Giordana's Pizza (Chicag style deep dish pizza), my son was craving it. We were able to order our pizza, a pitcher of beer and catch the second half of Super Bowl 51 (unbelievable come back for Tom Brady).

Will we come back next year for LVO 2018? As of right now, it is highly unlikely. Not that we did not have a good time, but we have a lot plans for AdeptiCon 2018 (which is then month after). But we'll know for sure next year.

Bolt Action Gaming


My last unit and FUBAR


Minions vs Cygnar


Giordanos


Giordanos

0 comments:

Post a Comment