January 1, 2021

What's in store for 2021!

Happy New Year 2021!

Today is the day where I get to use my psychic powers and predict my gaming trends for 2021.

Yesterday I posted my "2020 Year in Review" and today we shall see what stays on the list and what is going away and if there are any new additions.

Arena Rex

Arena Rex is going to stay on the list for 2021, we do have some models painted along with terrain, so it is a nice quick game to occasionally throw down.

Painting Goal: None, I am not setting any expectations for painting.

Gaming Goal: I missed my planned goal of 5 games last year with only 2 played, so we are going to shoot for 3 games played in 2021.

DCU Miniature Game

DCU MG for now is staying on my list for 2021, but it slid way down to another occasional game.

Painting Goal: If Knight Models would ever ship me my models, there may actually be a goal in place.  I placed an order in November and still have not heard anything from them, honestly I do not think I ever will.  If my models arrive, then I may put a few on the painting table through out the year.

Gaming Goal: Just like with Arena Rex above, this game be played every now and then when we want to change it up.  I think 3 games played may be a good expectation.

Blitz Bowl / Blood Bowl

I am going to combine these 2 games in 1, Blitz Bowl being the quick board game style of play and Blood Bowl being more in depth.

Painting Goal: 1 full Blood Bowl team box of 12 players will be my goal for 2021, I really think this is attainable and may surprise myself with another.  I just need to decide which team will be first.

Gaming Goal: I have high expectations for Blood Bowl this year (at least with Blood Bowl 7's).  We are planning on playing an in house League with 4 Teams to start the new year off and then add a few Teams in future Seasons.  Blood Bowl does still take a few hours to play, so combing Blitz Bowl/Blood Bowl.... I am going to shoot for 30 games played in 2021.

Middle-earth SBG

In all honestly the re-watching of the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings movies toward the end of 2020 and it re-sparked my interest in the game.  We do own quite a few models for the game and I have recently added some more in the past few weeks.  Will the fire keep burning through all of 2021, that may be a tough one.  I may just have to re-watch a movie to light the spark again.

Painting Goal: I did buy a lot of models at the end of 2020 for quite a few different armies so I may concentrate on getting some of them done.  I am not really setting any goals or armies completed, where I can see myself painting a few models / warbands here and there through out the year.  There is a big convention in the Fall (that actually may happen) where it would probably kick my painting into high gear if I elect to play MeSBG there.

Gaming Goal:  My plan is to try and play 1 game a month, so in theory that would be 12 games for the year, but we all know other plans do happen.  So I am setting a goal of 10 games for 2021.

Warhammer 40,000

Just like in 2020, Warhammer 40,000 will more than likely be our primary game in 2021.  We have a lot of models and different armies to play/paint throughout the year.  With the ease of just going into any gaming store and picking out a new model when we want, it is the easiest to get a hold of all the games I have listed so far.

Painting Goal: With AdeptiCon 2021 already cancelled, it is tough to set any painting goals.  I think it will be more like MeSBG above and when I am in the mood to paint a model for Warhammer 40,000, I'll just paint it.  I have fully painted Imperial Fists army for 1000/1500/2000 point games, and plenty of more models to add to that army.

Gaming Goal: Last year I had a goal of 30 games and I hit it with 38 games played.  If we are not attending any events this year for Warhammer 40,000, I have it scheduled for twice a month which would be 24 games.  That is less than last year, but we are adding MeSBG and Blood Bowl into the mix.  I think I will stick to what is scheduled and set my goal of 24 games played in 2021.

X-Wing

X-Wing is a great game that can be played in 75 minutes, so it always seems to make the list for the New Year....plus we do have a lot of ships for the game.

Painting Goal: Not Applicable (pre-painted miniatures)

Gaming Goal: Last year I lowered my expectations with a goal of 6 games played, and I hit it with 10 games played.  For 2021 I will keep the same goal of 6 games played.  If more games are played again in 2021, that will be a bonus.

New Games for 2021?

This is a little tough one to decide.  Towards the end of 2020 we picked up Blood Bowl and I seem to have resurrected MeSBG, so it will be tough to get another game into 2021.  

Is there a chance to also resurrect Warmachine/Hordes? I think that would be very slim.  I have been out of WM/H for awhile now and have not kept up with any of the changes.

What about bringing back Bolt Action? Possible, but slim also.

Then there is another game that is very easy to pick up at the gaming store, Warhammer Age of Sigmar.  All of my Warhammer Fantasy models are gone, and with Age of Sigmar they really changed the game, but AoS is played a lot like Warhammer 40,000 now and there are a few models that I really like, but you do need quite a few of them to play the game.  I can "maybe" see this game happening if MeSBG is not quite doing it for me (I enjoy the world of MeSBG and the models, it is the game play of almost always needing 6's on the dice that gets to me).  I think squeezing in AoS will be really tough unless something else gives.

Another possible interest may be Star Wars Legion, again there is quite a few models to this game and it is sci-fi like Warhammer 40,000.  When Legion was first released, there was not a lot of choices for models, but it has been out for a couple of years now and the line has grown.  It is hard to get into Legion when we have so many models already for Warhammer 40,000.

Events

Well the early part of 2021 is not looking good for events.  The Las Vegas Open in January and AdeptiCon in March have already been cancelled.  The next two larger events that interest us, NOVA Open and Renegade Open do not happen till the Fall, September/November.  Those two events are a possibility if the vaccine for COVID-19 works and gatherings are allowed again.  The problem with the Fall trips is that I still have a month long Europe trip scheduled for the Summer and getting more vacation time and dollars may be an issue.  If Europe gets cancelled once again for 2021, then there may be a chance.

The above is not set in stone, I like to look back at this post through out the year and see how I am doing and if anything changes.  There are only so many weekends in the year, and other interests sometimes do take some of that time.

We shall see what happens in 2021.

0 comments:

Post a Comment