January 17, 2015

Battle Report: W40K 1/16/2015

Yes, you read the post title correctly, a battle report for Warhammer 40K.  The last time I played a game of Warhammer 40K (W40K) was just about 2 years ago with my friend Gyan.  We were just learning the rules for 6th Edition.  So I have only played 1 game in the last 5 years.  7th Edition was released this past May (2014) and over the summer my son picked up a copy of the new rulebook with the intentions of playing with one of our friend Gyan.  That did not pan out for him and the books have been sitting on the shelf.

On the 1st of this year when I wrote "What's in store for 2015" I had brought up Warhammer 40K and out of a rating of 1-10 for getting back into the game, I gave it a 3.  Well that changed last night,  the last few days I have been contemplating getting back into the game and started to look at the new rules to see what has changed and if I remember any of it.  I also downloaded some of the GW enhanced Codexes to my iPad.  How serious am I for getting back into W40K, that is still to be determined.  I did sell a lot of my armies 5 years ago, but did manage to also keep quite a few, plus I still have plenty of unfinished models.  I am right now debateing on if wee to purchase another rulebook.  It is nice for each player to have copy rather than handing the book back and forth.

For my first game back I decided to play with my Imperial Guard, or should I say Astra Militarum.  My son elected to go with his Space Marines Salamanders force led by Vulkan.  We were just going to be playing 1000 points since I knew a lot of the time was going to be with our heads in the rullebook.

For deployment we just did standard 12" and we elected to play the mission 'Purge the Alien'.  The Imperial Guard force I was playing was all Mechanized and my son had quite a few Multi-Mela guns.  Ths was going to be good.

To keep things super quick, I ended up winning 10-4 at the end of Turn 6.  I managed to just about kill everything he had except for his Terminator Squad.  The Salamanders managed to get a couple Chimera's, a Veteran Squad and received a point for being in my Deployment Zone.

We still have a lot to refresh with in the rules.  Neither of us had Psykers or Flyers so we did not cover any of those rules, and we only managed 1 round of combat.

Once thing I am not liking about this edition is the wound allocation for shooting, not really sure if I like the fact that closest model takes the wound first and keep applying the wounds to him until he fails a save (if I read the rules right on this).  I'll need to re-read and look at any FAQ's.

Here are a few pics from the game.










0 comments:

Post a Comment