August 11, 2020

Guild Ball: The Death Of Guild Ball (August 2020)

Yesterday was a pretty sad day for Guild Ball fans, Steamforged Games announced the "End of Guild Ball" was on September 1st 2020.  I had a feeling something was coming when last week during their GenCon keynote they had no mention of the game and then yesterday came the announcement.  The Guild Ball players are pretty upset with the article, not because the game is ending, but also that Steamforged put most of the blame on the competitive players, which if it was not for the competitive players, the game probably would have ended long ago.

It was not the players, it was Steamforged Games themselves that killed the game due to their lack of communication over the last 2 years, killing their Pundit volunteer program and especially their fiasco of trying to produce models and keep a stock on them.  When you have nothing to sell because of production issues for just about a year, that is your fault, not the competitors.  We were still out there playing and promoting your game.

I honestly could say Guild Ball was one of my top favorite games.  I loved the story arc, I loved the models, and I loved the low count of models needed to play the game, and I loved the COMPETITIVE players, they were probably the nicest bunch of tournament players I have ever met before.  It was an enjoyment traveling to different events last year and meeting new players.

Grant it this year has seen no games played of Guild Ball for me with my renewal interest in Warhammer 40,000, but I wont count out getting in 1-2 games before the year is up.  We still have all the models and the latest rules/cards so there is nothing saying that it cannot be played still.  Who knows, maybe we'll try and even squeeze one game in this weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment