January 23, 2017

Battle Report: 1/22/2017 Bolt Action 'Great Britain vs Germany'

Yesterday was the first time I have played a game of Bolt Action in over 2 1/2 years and I must say it was really nice to be able to get the rust of the rifles and get some gun oil on them. Of course everyone wants to win when they play a game, but yesterday for me was more about remembering the rules of the game and trying out Version 2 of the new rule set.

Being it ws the first time with V2, I wanted to try out some of the new rules even if I really did not need to, like 'You Men, Snap to Action' and using the new template (though I had missed on my shot).

This was my first game of anykind I played since moving back to the Mid West and recently I came across a group on Facebook called 'Michiana Bolt Action'. About once a month they get together for a Bolt Action open play game day at a local store in Michigan City (about 50 miles for me, but it is all highway so it does not take that long, they are probably the closest and easiest to get for me). So yesterday was my first time meeting the group, and all I can say is that I am glad that I did. The group of gamers were excellent and everyone was there just to have fun. The funny thing also this past week that happened is that I was notified from a friend back in Chicago that one of the Chicago Bolt Action locals (that I knew from years ago) also recently moved to Michigan, John from Plastic Legions. So I also got in touch with him and it turns out we are only about 35 miles apart (again all highway), so I am looking forward to getting in future games with him in his Gaming Lair.

Onto the actual battle (which was not much of a battle for me). It seems that by moving to the Mid West, this past winter with all the snow and freezing temperatures, my dice must have also froze. I think I had every kind of bad roll imaginable.

Sunday 1/22/2017
Points: 750
Scenario: Meeting Engagement
Objective: Both sides must attempt to destroy the other whilst preserving their own forces.
Victory: Victory Points
Armies: Great Britain (Mark) vs Germany (Dean)

We elected not to roll for a scenario and just decided to play the above since again it was more of a refresher game for me.

I am not going to go into a turn by turn detail (honestly do not remember it all), but all I can say it was not good for the Germans. In Turn 2 my StuG III misses his Light Tank, only for him to return fire needing a 5 to hit, rolls a 5... needs a 5 for Superficial Damage, rolls a 6 for Full Damage... followed by another 6 for Knocked Out. My Infantry also saw a FUBAR. My Lt decided to chicken out and rolls a 12 for Morale and leaves the game. None of my Infantry could hit and when they did, they could only manage minimal damage. So It was not good for the Germans, losing 0-5. It felt like the date was May 7, 1945.

Germany surrenders at the end of Turn 7.
1 of 3 Tables
2 of 3 Tables
3 of 3 Tables
German StuG III Knocked Out

Even though I had lost, I do not care. I actually got to get out out of the house and meet a new group of friends and throw some dice.

Though I think next time, my dice need to spend some time in the oven before they hit the table.

0 comments:

Post a Comment