January 2, 2011

Battle Report: WM 15 Point Tournament

Just wanted to give a brief update on my first Warmachine tournament that I played in today.  My local game store was running a 15 point force restriction tournament today (1 Warcaster / 1+ Warjacks / 1 Solo / 1 Unit / 0-1 UA) and my son and I thought this would be a fun point level to try for our first tournament.  This was going to be preparation for a 35 point tournament next month.

Here are some of the basics of the event.  Every mission was going to be 'Killbox' with 6 minute turns.  We had about 26 players show up, so it looked like it was going to be at least a 5 round tournament.  Sportsmanship and Painting scores were not going to be used.



Coming from mostly playing Warhammer 40K and Warhammer Fantasy tournaments, this tournament was a big change for me.  I stay out of GW Ard Boys since no Sportsmanship and Painting is required, so this tournament to me felt like that kind of event.  Basically when you lose one game your out of it.  The 6 minute turns is also a HUGE change for me.  I never played like this before.  I see the benefit of using timed turns, but for someone like me and my son who are still learning our armies/cards, this one was real tough.

My son and I both decided to show up with 2 lists.  Heck why not, I had the models painted (which most players did not.  The one's that did show up painted, they were nicely done).

Here are the 2 Khador lists that I brought:

Army: Butcher
Type: 
Duel (1 caster, 15pts)
Points: 
15
The Butcher of Khardov 
(*6pts)
* Berserker 
(6pts)
* Juggernaut 
(7pts)
Iron Fang Pikemen (Leader and 5 Grunts) 
(5pts)
Yuri the Axe 
(3pts)


Army: Irusk
Type: 
Duel (1 caster, 15pts)
Points: 
15
Kommandant Irusk 
(*6pts)
* Destroyer 
(9pts)
* Juggernaut 
(7pts)
Winter Guard Mortar Crew (Leader and Grunt) 
(3pts)
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich 
(2pts)



The plan was to use the first list as my assault list, and the second list was my sit back and shoot.

Khador


My son's 2 Cygnar lists:

Army: Stryker
Type: 
Duel (1 caster, 15pts)
Points: 
15
Commander Coleman Stryker 
(*6pts)
* Sentinel 
(4pts)
* Ol' Rowdy 
(9pts)
* Squire 
(2pts)
Trencher Infantry (Leader and 5 Grunts) 
(6pts)


Army: Siege
Type: 
Duel (1 caster, 15pts)
Points: 
15
Major Markus 'Siege' Brisbane 
(*5pts)
* Sentinel 
(4pts)
* Defender 
(9pts)
Trencher Infantry (Leader and 5 Grunts) 
(6pts)
Trencher Master Gunner 
(2pts)



The Siege list was a Tier 1 list which reduced the cost of the Trencher Infantry unit by 1 point.


Cygnar
Well, we did not fair too well.  My son ended up going 0-3 and I ended up going 1-2.  Since it was already getting late on a Sunday, we decided to pull-out after Round 3 since neither of us had any chance with the loses we encountered.

All three of my games were close/fun and it came to dice.  My first game was against a Cygnar Stryker army.  Butcher took some long range shots from Charger to weaken his damage and then was finished off with by a Defender.  Butcher almost had this game won but missed with a boosted blunderbuss shot. With Butcher's 'Feat' being in play and Stryker already taking 14 points of damage from Obliveration, the shot missed the target.  It was an 'all in' move for me that did not succeed.

Round 1: Cygnar Stryker
Second game was played against a Legion army.  Another close one for me.  I decided to use my Irusk list for this one, just to try something different.  Wish I would have known that most of his army had Pathfinder.  I left 3 points of damage on his Warcaster and then Irusk was charged and killed.
Round 2: Legion

Round 2: Deployment
The third game is where I got my win.  I played a Protectorate of Menoth army led by Kreoss.  This player was also new to game so this was an even playing field.  I decided to go with the Butcher list and just quickly get into battle.  I used Yuri on the flank and snuck him up the table.  This tactic paid off greatly for me.  I was able to get behind his battle line with Yuri and get within striking range of Kreoss. Butcher used his 'Feat' to give me an additional die and Kreoss was almost done.  My Iron Fang Pikeman had also broke through and Reached their spears at Kreoss to finish him off.

Today was good experience for the both of us.  We learned some new things that we were originally playing wrong and we both had a good time.  The timed turns is going to take a lot of getting used to it.

The good news is that I need more practice, which means more games need to be played!

0 comments:

Post a Comment